realXtend is a free open source virtual world platform with which you can create your own applications using it as a base.
There are 2 main products in this platform:
- The realXtend viewer, that is GPL licensed.
- The server, that is BSD licensed, and is based on the open source OpenSim server software.
The server has a sample virtual world that you can use as it is, or you can modify it to suit your needs. realXtend also offers free, high-quality content for your own worlds.
They're providing this for free in the belief that "the true value of the interconnected 3D worlds is in the applications, not the platform".
- OGRE rendering
- Particle effects
- 3D objects, lights and shadows
- Integrating web pages within virtual worlds
- Desktop application sharing (VNC) to share your applications with other users
- Voice chat
- Scriptable teleports between worlds
- Second life compatibility mode for use in SL and Opensim worlds
- Address field in client login screen to select world
- Python scripting to make your own applications
- Free-form non-humanoid avatars
- Avatar generator to import your own avatar design and modify your appearance
- Avatar attachment tool to help set objects to your avatar
- Unlimited amount of attachments
- Teleports between realXtend and SecondLife
- Media library for world builders
- Direct3D rendering for better performance
- Support for OGG Vorbis
- Support for video (other than quicktime)
- Avatar generator and attachment tool integration to rexViewer
- OGRE materials support
- Improvements to in-world building tools
- Weather support
- Integration with skype/google spreadsheets/openoffice
- Avatar face/head animation based on live video camera data
- Lip synch for VOIP
- Clothing physics
- Vehicles support
Here you are a video that shows an overview of realXtend:
And here's another that shows an avatar customization process:
Now, some additional links for your investigation:
Developer Community: http://community.rexdeveloper.org/
© 2008 by Jordi R. Cardona. Link to this post without copying the text.If you liked this post, get updates of Hiperia3D News for FREE