What happened to virtual worlds between the end of August and the first days of September? Many things, and here you are the most vital ones for virtual worlds users (and yes, for developers too).
In our will of making simple what is complex, here's a quick summary. To expand the information just follow the links. Don't miss the videos!
Second Life News
- Fairyverse.com has created a village with bots into Second Life that have a wide range of actions and interact between them.
- Linden Lab has launched SLim, an instant messenger that allows you to communicate with users that are inside Second Life without having to enter in 3D. This is a good tool for those who want to talk to someone that is inworld and are using a computer that has low resources.
Although, having seen similar things in other virtual worlds platforms, I think this may encourage stalkers a little.
Reuters/Second Life » Linden launches instant messaging client
- An opensource version of the SL viewer called Shadowdraft has succeed in casting dynamic shadows. New World Notes: Dynamic Shadows Get An Open Source Viewer
- Mono has been added to Second Life, and it's basically an improvement to SL scripting. This way, more can be achieved and will run faster. Read this article, and the SL Wiki about Mono, that includes videos.
- Vivaty is now runnable on Firefox 3. Just visit your Facebook or AIM profile and enter the Vivaty application while using Firefox 3 and follow the instructions that will appear. Read about this and other improvements like dancing moves and gifts in their blog.
- Vivaty is going to expand beyond Facebook and AIM. In fact, their will is to expand to the entire web, making Vivaty worlds embeddable anywhere.
Reuters/Second Life » Vivaty To Expand Beyond Facebook and AIM
- Stay tuned for the upcoming interviews that will be published here on Hiperia3D News with relevant members of Vivaty.
Altadyn's (3DXplorer) Virtual Worlds For Corporate Sites
Altadyn Altadyn, the developer of 3DXplorer, announced the invention of “Meet in 3D”, which is a service for corporate websites that consists in a button that visitors can click and then enter a 3D scene that is customized to the needs of your business. There are promotional bundless at interesting prices available, that can be seen here. The promotional bundles will be offered on a time-limited basis, starting with the launch on September 3, 2008 and ending on September 30, 2008.
Just Leap In, New VW Platform
"Just Leap In", a new platform for 3D worlds, has come and after downloading a 8 MB client software, you are able to create your 3D space.
Virtual Worlds News: Just Leap In Developing 3D, Browser-Based World
VastPark will release an opensource client and server platform. They've scheduled the first release to come out this year as a desktop version with source code and they plan on demonstrating the web-based version in March 2009. Read this:
New Flash Virtual World
Journeys Soft launched the public alpha of their virtual worlds, built with Flash. For those who don't know it, an alpha is a very early version of a software.
There On Mac, Facebook And IM
There.com will be available for Mac, and there is a new Facebook application, and also an instant messenger. Read the story here: Virtual Worlds News: There.com Launches Mac Platform.
Twinity In Public Beta
Twinity, a virtual world that replicates the real world, is in open beta. So this is your time to go and test it.
GoWeb3D, Custom Worlds And VW Solutions
Dave Elchoness, the Executive Director of the Association of Virtual Worlds, has founded GoWeb3D, which is a product line, services company, and consultancy that provides low cost to fully custom virtual environments on the web.
Virtual Worlds Innovation Awards Winners
The Virtual Worlds Innovation Awards have been given. See who won which here.
SceneCaster To Support COLLADA
SceneCater announced their will to support COLLADA. Read it here. COLLADA is an interchange file format for 3D, this is, many applications export to collada, and this format is used as a bridge between them.
© 2008 by Jordi R. Cardona. Link to this post without copying the text.If you liked this post, get updates of Hiperia3D News for FREE